Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Write This Down

                 You are going to read on here a lot about how you have to have a plan going in if you want to have success. Every day, I walk into the gym with a computer printout of the workout I intend to achieve that has exercises, weight estimates, rep counts, etc. I always have a plan of attack. I know which exercises I plan on doing with a set amount of target reps. Once you start to get fairly deep into this process, you will be able to estimate fairly accurately how much weight you are going to lift based on previous experience. While I have a column for the planned reps and weight, I have an empty column where I can record my actual count. You do have to be able to improvise. A plan may have to fluctuate based upon the availability of machines and such but I never want to go into a session just planning on doing “what I feel like.” I think that makes you quit too soon and you just don’t work as hard.
                When asked about the pitfalls of people beginning an exercise program, professional cycling coach Ainslie MacEachran said:
“When members walk through our doors the first thing I ask (after saying hello) is what's your plan. Typically their response is ‘I don't know, I'll figure it out as I go.’ Most people don't have a plan, [but] every workout should have a plan. Your workouts will be more effective and time efficient if you have a purpose when you come in.”
 
                I keep the records of all my workouts in a folder that I keep in my gym bag. This is useful in tracking your progress and it is a very nice thing to be able to look at a year from now. I think you will be amazed at the gains that you can perform over the course of 52 weeks. Use that time recovering between circuits. Multitask and record your progress. I guarantee you will not regret doing this. However, writing down your numbers while in the moment is very important. Don’t rely on memory later on that evening or – even worse – days later.
                I try to track everything: workout times, mood, exercises, reps, weight, cardio time and I did this to monitor and analyze my performance. For over a year, I use to plug my numbers into the Workout Tracker option on Bodybuilding.com. (I used to write everything down in a physical record and then plug them in digitally a day or two later.) I do love their site. It gives me an opportunity to track my progress and will even do analysis for me (size gains, strength gains, pounds lifted, etc.). But as I have been dialing in my program, tinkering and fine tuning, I find myself tracking the workouts less and less and just using my Furyan printouts.
                So keep a record of your work.
 
                "Ryan, do you track your reps on a smart phone?"
                Absolutely not. One, I don’t own a smart phone. Two, all electronic devices are left in my locker or in my car. My workout time is my time. Nothing in my life is so important that I cannot unplug from the grid for an hour and half. I have seen the way things operate on my iPad.
                “So-and-so has commented on your status.”
                “Your plants are ready for harvesting.”
                “WarsNerd1138 has attacked your castle.”
                These are all distractions that you don’t need when you are really working hard. Distractions cause you to lose focus and losing focus gets you hurt. Unplug for an hour and make this time yours.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment