Friday, December 11, 2015

A Seat at the Table

           It took me a long time to come to grips with why I enjoy bodybuilding so much until one day it all crystalized for me. I’ve played competitive sports. And while many times we are told that these are just “games” or “friendly competitions amongst friends.” To this, Lieutenant Worf (son of Mogh) once said, “If winning is not important then, Commander, why keep score?” While I am not one of these people that believe all kids deserve participation trophies, I found myself drawn to games like World of Warcraft because it was five or ten friends against a computer as opposed to battling amongst other players. (I rarely participated in PVP battles.) And while I enjoy the look of STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT, at the end of the day, it is me against other players and as such I do not enjoy it as much. What does all this have to do with bodybuilding?
           At the end of the day, the only person I am competing with is me. My goal is always the same: Be a little better than I was yesterday. Five more pounds, one more rep, more precise in my form,   these are all ways that I can improve. While there are many bodybuilding competitions that are out there, I have said repeatedly that I do not feel this is my goal. I don’t want to be that guy with the seven-foot shoulders tapering down to a pair of four-inch jockey shorts. I just want to look good naked; to be physically pleasing to the eye.
           In your quest to achieve this goal, you can create an odd camaraderie at your local gym. It has been my experience that people are tremendously helping and encouraging of one another. Maybe I am lucky in my journey thus far. I am certain there are always going to be lunkheads that will chastise those of lesser skill. Or there are going to be those jealous girlies who see the hot chick and whisper to each other how she is a slut or a whore. I think it was the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle who once said, “Haters are going to hate.” I might be paraphrasing him. But I feel these are the far ends of the spectrum and do not represent that vast majority in the middle.
           Why is this level of camaraderie so evident in a gym?
           The reason is surprisingly simple. Your success does not exclude someone else from achieving what they want to achieve for themselves. It is not like there are a limited number of seats at the table. There is more than enough room for everyone and I am willing to bet that those already seated will be more than happy to reach back and offer you a seat beside them. Most are incredibly encouraging.
           What is more, most people are more than happy to share with you a formula that works. Once I started posting entries (and a few selfies) on my Facebook page about my progress, people would come to me wondering what I was doing. The approach was always the same. They wanted to know what I was doing but said that they understood if I didn’t want to share my secrets – like it was a top secret formula that I was keeping hidden all to myself. I can understand why people are reluctant to give up that information, like they found a fountain of youth and they didn’t want to share the location.  
           But here is the thing, I DON’T WANT IT TO BE A SECRET! This is why I am putting this out on the internet in the form of this blog. I want you to succeed. There is a very real chance that you will start working through the Furyan sets and discover something that maybe I am overlooking. Some simple advice from you – from the outside looking in – could help me elevate my game by giving me a different perspective.
           I think the only reservation that serious gym-goers will have is someone wasting their time. The washout rate in the gym is sickening. Want proof? Go to any gym on January 1st and count the number of people and then come back a month later. So maybe a serious lifter doesn’t want his workout interrupted knowing there is a 75% chance his advice will not be put to good use. But once you establish yourself as a “regular,” I think you will be amazed at how included you will become within the family.
           Me? I will certainly give you that “thumbs up” and a nod of encouragement. Just don’t interrupt the middle of a Breaking Benjamin song or an intense lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment