Friday, January 29, 2016

Unintentional Wiener

          Okay, so stick with me on this one because I am going parable for the first time. The Wellness Center that I workout has two dressing rooms that have a mirrored layout. They are essentially L-shaped with the longest L being the section for bathroom stalls, a shower, and two sinks. If you are taking a shower, you are blocked from the view if someone enters the locker room from the short part of the L. But the lockers are clearly in view every time the doors open.
          A few weeks ago, they went and put a retractable curtain so in theory you can stand in front of the lockers dripping wet and naked and if the curtain is pulled, you cannot be seen. The facility is relatively new but I have been attending the gym for well over a year now and a few weeks ago, they finally put the curtain in. My immediate question that came to mind was: “How much unintentional wiener had to be seen before someone finally said, ‘We really need to put a curtain in there’?”
          By the way, Unintentional Weiner is totally going to be my band name if I ever get a band or musical talent or the ability to sing or play an instrument. I am calling it right now. So I have dibs. I think the “dibs” argument totally holds up in a court of law. I can imagine it now. “Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for Unintentional Weiner!”
          But I digress. Sometimes, something comes along that is literally a “smack your forehead” moment where you proclaim genius and wonder why this hasn’t been done like this all along. It’s like the Christopher Nolan version of Batman or combining sea salt with caramel. You see it and you say, “Why hasn’t this been a thing from the beginning?”
          So, I rant and rave about Single Arm Linear Jammers as a wonderful way to work the front head of your shoulders. I am reading an article yesterday and this guy is performing the same maneuver but he is doing it two handed. I get excited and say, “Two handed linear jammer? Why have I not realized this is even an exercise?” It makes total sense. I often harp about how anything that can be done with a barbell can be done with dumbbells. Anything that can be done two-handed can be done single-handed. The theories are essentially the same but the results are very different. So now I am penciling in notes to attempt this exercise on my next Shoulder & Lat days.
          I used to do Upright Dumbbell Rows to work my trapezius muscles with dumbbells but I would do lifts with both hands at the same time. Now I do them one side at a time so I can really focus on pulling with that single side. Reiterating my point from yesterday, this is where you need to be constantly looking at research for ways to improve your technique, find new exercises, or see what the pros are doing because you never know what is going to spark that catalyst for improvement.
          Then once those new articles are implemented, you will wonder why you haven’t been doing it that way all along. It is not to say that the things you are doing are wrong but you want to keep dialing in your exercises and your routine to perfect your program.
          And by all means, whenever possible, avoid that unintentional wiener…

No comments:

Post a Comment