Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Gear You Need: The Weight Belt

           A weight belt is something that you are going to want to have. If you are smart, you won’t be lifting massively heavy weights to begin but you are going to want that belt sooner than later. The old myth is that belts help prevent hernias and prolapsing your rectum, which is pretty darn scary sounding but I cannot validate that claim. I am not a doctor. I just play one on TV and in this blog. Basically, a belt keeps your body synched in, giving your abs something to press against and it stabilizes your back muscles while under heavy loads. If you are squatting the bar, I doubt a belt is necessary. When you start squatting 200+ pounds, you are going to want one.
           I only wear a belt when engaging my core under heavy weight, which for my regiment is squatting and deadlift. I think a good rule of thumb is that if you have to holding your breath to lift the weight, strap that belt on, buddy. Obviously, exercise like the bench press and military press do not engage your abs and core, so wearing a belt during those exercises is pretty pointless.
           They are not expensive. Some gyms have several available or you can pick one up in the sporting goods section of Walmart. I view a belt much in the same way as I view a condom. It is better to wear it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. You may not be deadlifting enough weight to need it but why take that chance? If strapping it on keeps you safe, why not wear one? 
           And here is a pretty comprehensive article if you need to read one over at bodybuilding.com.
 
          Bonus Entry: The Gear You Need
          Time for another great song to put in your MP3 player. I love listening to original music scores from movies when I write because there are no distracting lyrics. Yet, these tracks of raw emotion can be equally beneficial towards getting you pumped in the gym.
           I have been pretty vocal about my love for MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. I am calling it the best movie of 2015 that I have seen thus far and a major contributor to that is the film’s original music score by Tom Holkenborg (also known as Junkie XL). The score for FURY ROAD is very industrial, angry, filled with epic percussion, and has a heroic theme that is one for the ages. This is one that I don’t just “not fast forward” through. It is going to get rewound probably at least once.
          There are the original recordings, which are excellent but there is also a massive 9:00 extended version that will keep you going through at least a couple of circuits if you are limiting your rests. "WITNESS ME!!!"
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment