Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Gear You Need: Compression Clothing

           It only took me about three sessions in the gym to realize the need for a pair of compression shorts. I picked up a variety of them at Walmart as they seem to have a deal with Starter. Medical studies have shown that compression clothing reduce soreness and speed recovery. By staying close to your body, compression clothing keeps your muscles warm, which helps prevent injury. And in the cold months that we are in right now, limiting exposed skin is not a bad thing. I also like that added barrier that helped prevent chaffing on your legs.
           If you are overweight, you might find yourself feeling subconscious about tight clothing. Believe me, I am right there with you. But I am wearing shorts over these things so it is not like my package is on display for the world to see. So yeah, don’t be that guy. These are not shorts.
           I will warn you that while these things stay tight, they trap in heat but they also trap in moisture despite claims that spandex is supposed to wick away sweat. And the grossest feeling in the world is coming home after your workout, sitting down to tend to some – ahem – biological needs, and then pulling sweat-soaked underwear back on. You have been warned. Plan accordingly.
 
 
           Bonus Entry: The Gear You Need
            What is a Wednesday without a song recommendation? I am digging a little deep into the catalogue for this one but don’t underestimate the clanging and banging appeal of wrestling entrance theme songs as a wonderful motivational tool. Now, first of all I am a mark for Batista and I am equally a fan of the actor Dave Bautista who you might know as Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of the Galaxy. So that positive association might bump this track a few notches up the chart for me than it will for you. However, when this song comes on my MP3 player, it never gets fast forwarded through. I am always in the mood for it and I just might hit rewind.
            If you don’t get a few extra reps with this one, you might need to check your pulse.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment