Friday, January 15, 2016

Finding Your Why

           To those on the outside looking in working out sounds pretty stupid. Via your gym membership, you are actually paying someone to let you torture yourself. Why would a person willingly take an hour or two out of their day to punish their bodies by lifting heavy weights over and over again?
           What I have found in this world is that you have to “find your why.” You have to choose why you are doing something. And to quote Eric Thomas, “Your why has to be greater than you.” When you are doing something for someone else, you can go one more day at work. You can go one more mile. Because it is not just about you. 
           In June of 2014, I made a decision to improve my life through exercise. The majority of this was for me but there were other motivating factors. I would be lying if I said there weren’t a few dashes of hate sprinkled in there as well. I know that isn’t healthy but it is what it is.
           But one major motivating factor was the dream that I wanted to cut a sharp figure in a tuxedo at my daughter’s wedding. As I walk my baby girl down the aisle, I want to do it on my own knees, preferably without wheezing, and without the aid of a rascal scooter. I figure that since she is who she is, the gentlemen callers will be a plenty. By my estimates, I have ten years minimum. And thus, the campaign began.
           As I have mentioned already, I am the product of divorce. It is a sad and horrible thing to go through a divorce and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. But as you go through that baptism of fire, you find that it is a fantastic time to work on yourself both mentally and physically. A broken individual is perfectly timed for the self-improvement that a program like Furyan Strength can bring.
           Look, the guy that my wife left me for, I don’t know who he is in real life. Mentally, I have painted a picture of him in my head and I think about him when I am tired and don’t want to get another set. “Is HE putting in this kind of work? No.” My goal is to be better than him and I am achieving this on all fronts. Granted, he is an imaginary enemy but it is motivation for me. We all have that imaginary dragon that we want to slay and it keeps me focused when I want to quit. (I am aware that this is not healthy emotionally but if it gets the job done…)
           If you were like me when you are starting this journey of self-improvement, there are going to be times where you think it is going to be impossible. It will seem like you are facing a seemingly insurmountable task and that the mountain is too tall to climb. That is when you have to find your why. Because when you find it, you dig deep down and find reserves that you might not have even known were there.
           That will keep you going and that will keep you motivated. So, let’s end this lesson by tasking you with your homework. Take some time and really ask yourself what you want to get out of training. Decide why you are doing it. Maybe you are like me and you were tired of being fat. Tired of not taking selfies or pictures with your kids because you were ashamed. Maybe there is that moment where you don’t know if you can get another rep. That is often when I look at myself in the mirror and think, You know that little red-haired girl didn’t go out with you because you are fat. Suddenly motivation springs eternal. Whatever your reason, you have to find your why. That gives you direction and it gives you purpose.
           Thus endeth the lesson. Now go forth and do likewise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment