Friday, February 26, 2016

Be Your Own Renaissance Man

           In the movie Renaissance Man, Danny DeVito is discussing Leon Battista Alberti who was an Italian humorist, author, artist, poet, linguist, philosopher, and cryptographer amongst other things. According to the dialogue of the movie, “They said that he could stand, with his feet together like this, and spring straight over a man's head.” To which DeVito’s character says, “If Leon Battista Alberti couldn't have done that, I wouldn't have remembered a thing about him.”
            This made him an oxymoron. It made him a smart jock. Now, what have I said since the beginning? Furyan Strength is about developing your body, mind, and spirit. Keeping your body sharp will also help keep your mind sharp and I think it works the other way too. Before I started this journey I had no clue what whey protein did for my body. Or BCAAs. Or why I should take Vitamin E. Or the importance of muscle balance and symmetry. I think most people associate all bodybuilders as dumb jocks who just lift heavy weights. But listen to any of the testimony of Dr. Jim Stoppani and I don’t think anyone can deny that lifting weights is a science. But then I saw an image on the internet that really made me think.

 
 
           I think there is very much truth to this image. As I have mentioned in the past, I would very much like to obtain a “Marvel” physique. If you look at any of the stars of the Marvel movies, it is very clear that they have been training like animals. Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt (they do like their Chrises don’t they), Ryan Reynolds, Robert Downey Jr., Paul Rudd, and Jeremy Renner are on that list. Seeing the transformation of Ben Affleck into Batman and Henry Cavill as Superman is amazing. And then look at the fifteen year span between X-Men and The Wolverine. Hugh Jackman is an amazing individual and I would love to look like them. If I have physical idols, it is them.
            And by today’s standards, none of these guys would stand a chance at a professional bodybuilding championship. The greatest bodybuilder of all time – Arnold Schwarzenegger – has come out saying that the champions these days are more about mass than physical aesthetics. Arnold praises the body of Frank Zane and Zane’s physique from back in the day is like a Greek sculpture.
            The Marvel frame – that classic physique – is what I want. I don’t want to be one of these hulking brutes where my traps are up around my ears. As I said in the beginning of this whole thing… I want to look good naked. Which now brings me back to Leon Battista Alberti. I very much love my time in the gym. I like doing research and trying new things and I get elated when I elevate my Romanian Deadlifts to 185 pounds for reps.
            I don’t consider myself a “wuss.” I have elevated beyond “beginner.” I feel I have finally achieved the “athletic” phase. I want to get to “buff” eventually. But I never want to achieve “idiot” status. I don’t want my frame to be such that I am quantified only for a frame.
            I am a father and single parent. I work 40 hours, where I am called upon to lead team seminars. I read. I study. I am writing a novel. I paint. I self-taught myself Photoshop. I am part of a grass roots community organization. I serve on the board of directors for a nonprofit. I play poker. I have this blog. I play World of Warcraft. I enjoy discussing movies, music from films, philosophy, politics, and such. I pride myself in being a hoot at social gatherings. I feel I could be thrown into a dinner party with strangers engage in chit-chat.
           What I am saying is that I don’t want to be a guy squatting 1,000 pounds because if you are doing that, what else do you have time for? I would think all your life would be spent in the gym. And at the dinner party, people are just going to ask you to bring in extra chairs from the garage. Personally, I would rather be well rounded in my pursuits. I want to be that smart jock.
           I want to be a man of many hats that also happens to have a 250-pound bench press to my resume.  Be well rounded so you can be your own renaissance man.

No comments:

Post a Comment